ELLINGHAM (LITTLE), 2½ miles S.S.W. of Hingham, and 6 miles E.S.E. of Watton, is a parish and small scattered village, with 72 houses, 296 souls, and 1,516 acres of land, the property of several proprietors, the largest of whom are Wm. Colgrave, Esq., and the Rev. Sam. Colby ; the former is lord of the manor, and the latter incumbent of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 1s. 10d., and augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty in 1724-'6, and £200 given by the Rev. J. Carter. Sir W. B. Proctor of Langley is patron. The tithes are commuted for £430, and there are 47a. of glebe. The Church is a small edifice, with a tower and one bell, and is dedicated to St. Peter. The Town Lands, 22a., are let in three lots for £46 a year. A house, belonging to the parish is occupied by poor people. The Fuel Allotment, 40a., awarded in 1769, is let for £17 ; and the parish clerk has 1½a. of land,given by an unknown donor.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Little Ellingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Church of St. Peter [local web-site]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page