ELM is a village and extensive parish in the Isle of Ely, 2 miles south-south-east from Wisbech, 9 from March, and 81 north from London, in Wisbech hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely: it is situated on the Wisbech canal, on the borders of Norfolk. The Coldham railway station is in this parish. The church of All Saints is a large stone buidling, in the Early English style, having chancel, nave, aisles, a tower with small spire and 5 bells, and porch on the north side: it has been restored by the parishioners: the chancel was restored internally by the Ecc;esiastical Commissioners in 1875. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £495, nett yearly value £475, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Swann M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The charities are pound180 yearly value, distributed in bread, clothing and fuel. The Bishop of Ely is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Overstone, the Misses Percival, Benjamin Stockdale, Samuel Stockdale, T. L. Read, James Montagu, The Messrs. Peckover, Joseph Stockdale, Matthew Coulson Burnby, James Burdock, Robert Charles Catling and Col. Lancelot Reed. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay The chief crops are wheat and oats, with barley, beans, &c. The area is 11,105 acres; rateable value, £18,390; the population in 1881 was 1,795.
BEGDALE, 1 mile south-west, WALDERSEA is a district consisting of about 5,560 acres, which is drained by steampower, the water being pumped into the river Nene by a powerful engine of 120 horse power; the engine house is on the south brink, about 5 miles from Wisbech; and COTTONS, 2½ south-east, are in this parish.
COLDHAM, including MARSH CHAIN, STAGSHOLT, and PEARTREE HILL, has been formed into an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under COLDHAM.
FRIDAYBRIDGE also has a separate heading.
Assistant Overseer & Registrar of Births & Deaths, Amos Hill
There is an endowed school for boys, the endowment originally amounting to about £88 yearly; children from Emneth parish, county of Norfolk, are entitled to attend this school.
Lloyd Rev. Benjamin Marner (curate), Grove house
Noore Mrs. Townfield house
Reed Lieut-Col. Lancelot D.L., J.P.
Swan Rev. Edward M.A. Vicarage
Ward Augustus Henry, Oldfield house
Elm village web-site
More iformation about Elm [Alan Gresley]
Elm Genealogical information [Forebears]
More on Elm [GENUKI}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page