ELSING is a straggling vllage and parish on the south side of the river Wensum, 5½ miles east-north-east from East Dereham station, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church, of which the dedication is uncertain, is a fine flint building of the Decorated period, consisting of chancel, nave, sacristy, north and south porches, and a square tower containing 5 bells: in the chancel is a mutilated brass, in memory of Sir Hugh de Hastings, founder of the church: in the nave, which is of unusual width, stands an octagonal font, also of the Decorated period, of very good design; its canopy, once of rare beauty, is somewhat later in date than the font, with central spire, supported on traceried panels and pinnacled buttresses, the panels bearing traces of a diaper of birds, raised and gilt, and for beauty of design it ranks with that of Ufford church in Suffolk: considerable remains of a rich screen exist: the church was restored in 1876. The reguister dates front he year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £330, with a residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of R. C. Browne esq. and held since 1852 by the Rev. Julius John Culpeper Valpy B.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. Here is a chapel for Primitive Mehodists. The church lands of 24 acres produce £30 yearly. Charitiies of £10 yearly value are for bread and clothing. Richard Charles Browne J.P. who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. H. E. Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh Park, are the principal landowners; the former resides at Elsing Hall, a very fine and interesting moated mansion, of late Perpendicular style, the north front of rubble and freestone and the south front is a specimen of half-timbered work: the entrance hall, with its porch and the chapel, are the principal ancient features: the windows of the remaining portion have been restored: it bears the arms of Lord Foliot. The soil is mixed; subsoil, mixed. The pricial crops are barley and wheat. The area is 1,511 acres; rateable value, £2,317; in 1881 the population was 388.
POST OFFICE.&~151;Geo. Rix, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through East Dereham at 8.40 a.m. which is the nearest money order office, and ae dispatched at 4.40 p.m. Pillar Box cleared at 4.20 p.m.; sundays at 10 a.m.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Edwd. Robert Lowell, clerk to the Board
Board School, erected in 1876, at a cost of £370, for 70 children; average attendance, 50
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854 and 1864
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Elsing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Elsing watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Miller's Arms [Norfolk Pubs Index]
More on Elsing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page