[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
ELSING, 5 miles E.N.E. of Dereham, is a straggling village and parish containing 86 houses, 400 souls, and 1,531a. 1r. 39p. of land belonging to Richard Charles Browne and Charles Lombe, Esq.'s; the former is lord of the manor and patron of the living, and resides at Elsing Hall, an ancient gothic edifice which has just been thoroughly restored. The Church has a square tower and five bells, and has in its chancel a mutilated brass in memory of Sir Hugh de Hastings. The rectory valued in the King's book, at £5 11s. 8d. has a yearly rent of £330 awarded in 1841 in lieu of tithes, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Julius John Culpeper Valpy, who resides at the rectory, and has 14a. of glebe. The Church lands, vested in trust since 1560, consist of 24a. let for £32 a year, which is applied in the service of the church. The poor have 10s. yearly out of the church land left by John Leman ; £1 15s. left by John Starling; 21s. from land enclosed from the waste, and £9 16s. from £227 17s. 4d. three per cent consols left by Thomas Ward in 1806. At the enclosure in 1844, two acres of land were awarded as a recreation ground, and 2a. for getting gravel.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Elsing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Elsing watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Miller's Arms [Norfolk Pubs Index]
More on Elsing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page