1891 Census Name Index
Eynsford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Elsing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Elsing watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Elsing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Elsing

White's Directory for Norfolk, 1864, pp. 693-4.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © Derek Gidney]

ELSING, a long straggling village on the south side of the vale of the Wensum, 5 miles E.N.E. of East Dereham, has in it's parish 392 inhabitants, and 1511 acres of land, mostly the property of Richard Charles Browne Esq. and the Rev. Hy. E. Lombe, the former of whom is lord of the manor and patron of the living. He resides at the HALL, an ancient moated mansion, which has been for several centuries the residence of a family connected with many celebrated houses. It was the property of the Foliots, until Sir Richard Foliot's daughter, Margery, married Sir Hugh Hastings, commander of the army of Edward III. in Flanders; and it was the residence of the Hastings family until it passed by the marriage of Anne, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Sir Hugh Hastings to William Browne, shortly before the year 1554. The house appears to have been originally erected in the 13th century, as the foundations and some fragments built into the walls are evidently of that date; but it was probably rebuilt or considerably altered about 1550. During the last 2 centuries it has suffered much from alterations and destruction though it still retains some features of considerable interest. The CHURCH (St Peter) was built about the year 1340, and is a small building of pure decorated architecture, comprising nave, chancel north chapel or sacristy, north and south porches, and square tower with five bells. The chancel has been recently restored. The large east window is of five lights, and has some fine ancient stained glass with figures of Sir Hugh Hastings and his wife as founders of the church. Several other windows contain fragments of coloured glass of the same date; and in the south wall of the chancel are plain sedilia and piscina. The remains of the once-splendid brass of Sir Hugh Hastings, who was buried here in 1347, still lie on the pavement of the chancel. The knight is represented in a mixed armour of mail and plate, with a loosely hanging jupon and sword-belt, a straight two edged sword and a shield. The head rests on a diapered cushion supported by angels, but the legs are gone. The canopy in which the figure is placed is of beautiful design and execution. It's sides were each composed of four canopied niches containing armed figures, several of which are lost; and the upper part has a figure of St. George and the dragon in the foliated centre and two figures on brackets representing the coronation of the virgin Mary. The finial is formed by the crest of a tilting helmet. At the upper corner were angels (one only remaining) with censers, attending the soul of the deceased conveyed upwards in a sheet, which appears in the central cusp of the arch. Beneath the alter is a large slab, with marginal inscription in early characters and the indents of two shields in brass, supposed to be in memory of a former rector. The original font still remains and it's beautiful wooden cover is the earliest known to exist in England, and probably the only one of the decorated period. It is of simple yet elegant design, but it's pinnacles are now much mutilated. A few years ago, a series of paintings was discovered on the south east wall of the church, apparently representing events in the life of St. John the Baptist. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 11s. 8d., is in the incumbency of the Rev. Julius John Culpepper Valpy, B.A., who has a good residence, and a yearly rent-charge of £330, awarded in 1841 in lieu of tithes. The church lands, which have been vested in trust since before 1560, consist of 24 acres, now let for £31. 12s., which is applied towards the repairs of the church. For distributions of money and bread, the poor parishioners have, or ought to have, the following yearly doles, viz., 10s. out of the church land, left by John Leman; £1. 15s. from land left by John Starling; 21s. from land enclosed form the waste; and £9. 16s. 8d. from £327. 17s. 4d. three per cent. consols, left by Thos. Ward in 1806. Here is a small primitive Methodist Chapel. The large corn mill is occupied by Mr. Joseph Taylor, of Bylaugh.

POST from Thetford via East Dereham.

______________________________

© Transcribed by Derek Gidney, April 1999; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Name Index
Eynsford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFk}
White's 1854
Elsing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Elsing watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Elsing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page