Elveden, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Elveden [GENUKI-SFK]
Local estate web-site
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Elveden

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.870.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ELVEDEN (or ELDEN) is a village and parish 5 miles south from Brandon station and 4 south-west from Thetford station, situated on the road from Thetford to Mildenhall, in the Western division of the county, Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Andrew is a small ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave with square tower, built principally of flint, with various devices of the same material inlaid; the upper part is ornamented on each corner with full-sized statues, on small pedestals: the church was thoroughly restored in 1869 by His Highness the Maharajah Duleep Singh, at a cost of £1,100: in the nave is a marble monument to Augustus Viscount Keppel, Admiral of the White, dated October 2, 1786; it was erected by George Rogers esq. The register dates from the years 1652. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £320, with 27 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of His Highness the Maharajah Duleep Singh, and held since 1869 by the Rev. St. George Walker M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Elveden Hall, the seat of His Highness Prince Duleep Singh G.C.S.I. formerly sovereign of the Punjab, India, is a handsome mansion of red brick with stone dressings: it has lately been reconstructed on the site of the old mansion, formerly the seat of the first Earl of Albermarle; the decoration of the interior, with the exception of the Princess's boudoir, which is French Renaissance, is in pure Indian style, comprising marble inlaid and encaustic floors, with chimney-pieces, ceiling and wall panelling of the most elaborate design. His Highness is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is chiefly of sand; subsoil, gravel, chalk and clay, producing wheat, barley, rye, and turnips; the area is 5,555 acres; and the rateable value £2072; the population in 1881 was 310.

______

Letters through Thetford, the nearest money order office

School, to hold 50, average attendance 32; Miss Martha Osborne, mistress.

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2014.

More on Elveden [GENUKI-SFK]
Local estate web-site
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page