Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Index; and Index of Marriages (1599-1852) and Baptisms (1599-1830) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Emneth towermill and Emneth smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Emneth Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Emneth [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Emneth

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 309-310.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EMNETH is a straggling village and parish situated on the navigable Nene, 3 miles east-south-east from Wisbech, 1 mile south from Emneth station on the East Anglian railway and 98¾ miles from London, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Marshland hundred, Wisbech union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Edmund is an old building, in the Early English and Norman styles, comprising a chancel, nave with aisles, and large square western tower containing 5 bells: the chancel has been rebuilt and the interior was restored in 1866. The register dates from the year 1586. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value about £300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1868 by the Rev. Edward Henry Lovelock M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and Reformers have chapels here, all erected in 1854. Inglethorpe Hall is the seat of Frederic Morehouse Metcalfe esq. J.P. who is lord of the manors of Hagbech and Inglethorpe. The principal landowners are Edward William Trafford esq. Frederick Morehouse Metcalfe esq. J.P. Algernon and Alexander Peckover and Thomas Dearlove Dearlove esqrs. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and market garden produce; there is also much pasturage ground. The area is 3,449 acres; rateable value, £6,668; the population in 1881 was 1,001.

Parish Sexton, Robert Francis Hunsley.

______

POST OFFICE.— Mrs. Mary Hunsley, receiver. Letters arrive from Wisbech about 6 a.m.; dispatched at 7.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Elm, & telegraph office Wisbech.
LETTER BOXES— Hungate, cleared week days only at 6 p.m.; near the church, cleared week days & sundays at 7.45 p.m.; Railway station, cleared week days only at 5.30 p.m.; Wisbech road, cleared week days and sundays at 7.20 p.m.

Children of this parish are entitled to attend the endowed school at Elm, in Cambridgeshire.
National School, Miss Emma Oldham, mistress.

Railway station, William Waters, station master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, August 1999; links updated August 2014.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Index; and Index of Marriages (1599-1852) and Baptisms (1599-1830) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Emneth towermill and Emneth smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Emneth Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Emneth [GENUKI-NFK]