Eriswell, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

Local village web-site
More on Eriswell {GENUKI-SFK}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Eriswell

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.870.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

ERISWELL is a scattered village and parish 3 miles north from Mildednhall and 5« south from Lakenheath station on the Ely and Norwich line of the Great Eastern railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Lackford, Mildenhall union and county court district, Fordham rural, Sudbury archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, situated on a gently declivity, extending westward to the fens, and northwards to the extended rabbit warrens of Lakenhesath. The church of St. Peter is an ancient stone building, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, lady chapel, porch and tower with 3 bells, and contains an old register chest; the nave is divided from the chancel by an ancient oak screen: the church was thoroughly restored in built principally of flint, with various devices of the same material inlaid; the upper part is ornamented on each corner with full-sized statues, on small pedestals: the church was thoroughly restored in 1874, at a cost of £1,300, and newly seated with open benches. The register dates from the year 1670. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £640, with 51A. 2R. of glebe land and a residence, in the gift of J. B. Evans esq. , and held since 1869 by the Rev. Fitzwilliam Evans. Here is a Wesleyan shapel. Eriswell Hall, the ancient manor house is now occupied as a farm house. On the north side of the parish, near the Hall, was a chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, the remains f which is now a dovecot. His Highness the Maharajah Duleep Singh is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and rye. The area is 6,620 acres; rateable value £2930; the population in 1881 was 441


Letters through Brandon. WALL BOX cleared at 5.0 p.m. Lakenheath is the nearest money order office, & Mildenhall the nearest telegraph office.

Here is a National school, erected in 1856, for 76 children, average attendance 54, supported by His Highness the Maharajah Jukeeo Singh: a Sunday school is held in the school-room.
School, John Land, master


Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, July, 2014, links updated September 2014.

Local village web-site
More on Eriswell {GENUKI-SFK}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page