1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham Workhouse 1891 Census Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Erpingham with Calthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Erpingham smockmill, towermill and Thwaite Common towermill [all Jonathan Neville]
Erpingham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Erpingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Erpingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.310.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ERPINGHAM is a parish and village (from whence the name of this and adjoining hundred was derived), 3½ miles north from Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 7 west from North Walsham in the Northern division of the county, Aylsham union and county court district. rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary, in the Early English style, is a noble pile of stone and flint, and consists of a chancel, nave and south aisle, with square tower containing 4 bells: it was re-roofed in 1842, at the expense of the parishioners, and was re-pewed at the cost of the late Dowager Lady Suffield. An organ was added in 1879. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £478, commuted tithe rent-charge, and consolidated with Blickling, joint yearly value £918, in the gift of Constance Marchioness of Lothian, and held by the Rev. Frederick Meyrick M.A. late Fellow of Trinity College, Oxford, examining chaplain to the Bishop of Lincoln and Prebendary of Lincoln Cathedral. The Rev. Theodore Johnson is curate in charge here. There is a chapel for the Primitive Methodists. Part of the parish is in the Earl of Orford's manor; the remainder was formerly held by a family of its own name, one of whom was Sir Thomas Erpngham K.G. a chivalrous knight who accompanied John, Duke of Lancaster, throughout the Spanish wars of 1399, and those of Henry IV. and V. and is frequently mentioned by Shakespeare in Henry V. as being one of the leaders at Agincourt; he was also a large benefactor to Norwich, where he caused the cathedral gate to be erected upon which his name is inscribed. The principal landowners are the Marchioness of Lothian, who is also lady of the manor, the Rev. George Fish, the Rev. S. M. Shepheard and Robert Ives esq J.P.; there are a number of smaller holders. The soil is loam; subsoil, red sand. The chief crops are wheat,oats and hay. The area is 1,370A. 1R. 26P.; rateable value, £2,605; the population in 1881 was 362.



Letters through Norwich, viā Hanworth, arive about 9 a.m. & are dispatched from WALL LETTER BOX at 4.15 p.m. on week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Aylsham & Hanworth

National School, Miss Rebecca Hutson, certificated mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham Workhouse 1891 Census Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Erpingham with Calthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Erpingham smockmill, towermill and Thwaite Common towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Erpingham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Thwaite Common towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Erpingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page