Fakenham Magna, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Fakenham [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Fakenham Magna

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.875-876.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

FAKENHAM MAGNA is a village and parish on the west bank of the river Thet, 5½ miles south east from Thetford station and 10 north-east from Bury St. Edmunds, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, union and county court district of Thetford, Blackbourn rural deanery, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is a flint and rubble building, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and organ chamber on the north side of the chancel, and square embattled tower with 3 bells: the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches, in 1859, when the heating apparatus was supplied: a screen divides the chancel and nave: in 1866-7, the east window was filled by the rector with stained glass, representing the Passion: in the church is an ancient marble monument to the Taylor family, who formerly possessed this place. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £281 15s. with residence and 14 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Grafton, and held since 1856 by the Rev. Edmund John Morgan M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. On Fakenham Heath are barrows. The Duke of Grafton K.G., C.B. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is various, mostly light; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 2,155 acres; rateable value £2,202; the population in 1881 was 215.

RYMER, formerly extra-parochial, is now attached to this parish.


POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Susannah Carter, receiver. Letters arrive from Bury St. Edmunds at 8.30 a.m. dispatched at 5.0 p.m. week days, & at 10.30 a.m. on sundays. The nearest money order & telehraph office is at Ixworth

A school house, with house for the mistress, was erected by the Duke of Grafton in 1576

CARRIER—Richd. Loveless to Bury.wed.; to Thetford, sat

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Fakenham [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page