1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Felbrigg Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Felbrigg [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Felbrigg

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 395

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

FELBRIGG, 3 miles S.S.W. of Cromer, has in its parish 29 houses, 126 inhabitants, and 1,559a. 2r. 10p. of land, all (except 45a. belonging to Mr. Robt. B. Joy, of Roughton,) the property of William Howe Windham, Esq., who represented this division of the county in the first reform Parliament, and resides at Felbrigg Hall, a stately mansion in a verdant and richly wooded park of 600a. It is built in the style which prevailed in the time of Henry VIII. but has been considerably enlarged and beautified at different periods, by the Windham family. The apartments are elegantly furnished and contain many fine paintings by some of the most eminent masters. In 1841-2, three handsome lodge gateways at the entrances to the park, were built. A noble quadrangle of stables, in the same style as the hall, were erected by the late Adml. Windham, in 1825. The Church, a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Margaret, is embosomed in foliage, and situated about a quarter of a mile from the hall. A fine brass remembers Sir Simon de Felbrigge, who lived in the reign of Henry VI. Near the altar is a beautiful monument, with a bust of the late Right Hon. Wm. Windham, "a profound scholar, accomplished orator, and distinguished statesman," who died in 1810. He sat in Parliament for twenty-eight years ; first for Norwich, and afterwards for various boroughs ; and accepted under Mr. Pitt the office of secretary of war, with a seat in the cabinet, an honourable distinction which had never before been annexed to that office. Having no issue, his estates descended to his nephew, the late Admiral Lukin, who assumed the name of Windham. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 18s. 4d., and in 1831, at £310, with that of Metton annexed to it, is in the patronage of W. H. Windham, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. R. C. Windham, B.A. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £179.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Wills & Other Documents
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Felbrigg Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Felbrigg [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] Return to villages index
Paddy's home page