1891 Census Names Index
Felingham postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Felmingham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Felmingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Felmingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.313.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

FELMINGHAM is a parish with station on the Eastern and Midlands railway from Yarmouth to Lynn, 2½ miles west-south-west from North Walsham, 5 east from Aylsham, and 13 from Norwich, in the northern division of the county, hundred of Tunstead, union of Smallburgh, North Walsham county court distract, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew has a nave and a Perpendicular tower of flint, containing a peal of 6 bells, and supported by buttresses. The register dates from the year 1754. There are two benefices in this parish, a vicarage endowed with three-fourths of the vicarial tithes, yearly value £165, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1882 by the Rev. John Wm. Cobb M.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge, as vicar, and a rectory endowed with one-fourth of the vicarial, together with one-fourth of the rectorial tithe, yearly value £185, in the gift of Mrs. William Postle of Smallburgh Hall; the Rev. John Postle B.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, has been rector since 1852, and resides at Burgh: the remaining three-fourths of the rectories tithes are in the hands of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. In 1844 some Roman antiquities were found here. Felmingham Hall is the property of Mrs. Postle, of Smallburgh Hall, but is in the occupation of William Seaman Postle esq. Mrs. Postle of Smallburgh, is lady of Felmingham Hall manor, and Lord Suffield of Rugge's Hall manor. The principal landowners are Lord Suffield, Frederick Hylton esq. William Postle esq. and William Primrose esq. The soil is loamy; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,816 acres; rateable value, £3,020; the population in 1881 was 395.


Letters through North Walsham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Henry Gidney, Aylsham, clerk

Railway Station (Eastern & Midlands), Henry Cullington, station master

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, June 2005; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Felmingham postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Felmingham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Felmingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page