FELTHORPE is a parish and widely scattered village, 7 miles north-north-west of Norwich and 5 miles from Cawston station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a structure of flint, and has been enlarged and partly rebuilt, and was thoroughly restored in 1878: it has chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, a square tower containing 1 bell, with some stained glass: the interior is plain: a chancel window has been inserted by Major Bourchier, in memory of his brother Col. Claude T. Bourchier: stained windows have also been recently inserted in the nave representing the miracles of Our Lord, and the floor re-paved, at the sole expense of the same gentleman. The register dates from the year 1715. The living is a rectory, tithe commuted at £274 4s. with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1877 by the Rev. George Downing Dewé M.A. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. Brereton's charity of £42 yearly, is applied in payments to almswomen, the poor, and in repairs of church. The fuel allotment of 46 acres produces £10 yearly. Felthorpe Hall, the residence of Major James J. Bourchier J.P. is a short distance north of the Norwich road, surrounded by thriving plantations. There are four manors, three belonging to Lord Stafford, the Bishop of Norwich and E. Fellowes esq. lord of the manor of Russells, and the Rectory manor. E. Fellowes esq. and Samuel G. Buxton esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 2,237A. 3R. 18.; rateable value, £1,564; the population in 1881 was 463.
Letters through Norwich arrive at 8 a.m. & are dispatched from Post Pillar at 4 p.m. on week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hevingham.
Here is a Church of England school, built by E. Fellowes, esq. and supported by a voluntary rate; Alfred Frederick Kittridge, master; Miss Alice Kittridge, mistress
CARRIERRobert Easton, passes through from Cawston to Norwich, puts up at 'Duke's Palace,' returning same days
1891 Census Names Index
Felthorpe watermill, Mill Farm postmill and Mill Hill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Felthorpe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Felthorpe Flying Group
More on Felthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page