1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Feltwell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Feltwell early postmill and Mill Drift postmill, Feltwell tower mill, Mill Drift smockmill, Wilton Road postmill and Wilton Road towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Feltwell watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site [Paul Garland]
Feltwell Museum
Feltwell Historical & Archeological Society
More on Feltwell [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Little Ouse
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Feltwell

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 748-749

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000]

FELTWELL is a parish and large village, 6 miles W.N.W. of Brandon, comprising 1,675 souls, 375 houses, and 9,639 acres of land, about two-thirds of which is low fen land, for improving the drainage of which there are two steam engines. A small fair is held on Nov. 20th and 21st: and the parish includes an extra-parochial place called Feltwell Anchor. Here are several manors, held by the Rev. W. C. Newcome, E. C. Newcome, Esq., W. Chafey, Esq., and Christ College, Cambridge. This parish has two CHURCHES, both of which were thoroughly repaired about 20 years ago. St. Mary's is a large edifice with a square tower, three bells, and a clock; and among its memorials are fine brasses to the Mundeford and Newcome families. St. Nicholas Church is a small edifice, with a tower, round at the base and octangular at the top. The rectories are now consolidated, and in the patronage of the Crown. St. Mary's is valued in the King's book at £14 17s. 3½d. and St. Nicholas's at £19, and their joint value in 1831 was £1,207. The Rev. E. P. Sparke is the incumbent, and has 117a. of glebe. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. Sir Edm. Mundeford, in 1643, bequeathed about 840a. of fen land in trust, to apply one-third of the profits in distributions of clothing among the poor, and two-thirds for the support of a free school; but when the clear rents were more than £60 a year, he desired the surplus to be applied in founding an ALMSHOUSE for the aged poor. Part of the land was taken by the Commissioners for the drainage of the Bedford Level, and the estate now consists of 623a. 1r. 18p. of fen land, and two houses, let for £100 per annum, out of which near £80 is paid yearly for drainage taxes. According to the donor's will, £40 for the school, and £20 for clothing ought to have been realized before the erection of the almshouse, to which eight poor people are admitted by the trustees, who in 1839, erected a large school, which is conducted on the National system, and attended by about 100 children. The Fuel Allotment, 360a., was awarded in 1815. Six poor labourers occupy, rent free, 4a. 2r. 19p. of land, received in exchange for 6a. given by Robt. Clough, in 1737, to be so occupied for the purpose of enabling them to send their children to school. The poor have £30 every fifth year from Atmere's Charity, noticed with Foulden. The Rev. Thos. Rawlins, in 1729, left £50, which was laid out in the purchase of 9a. of land, and the rent, about £6, is distributed to the poor. The late Miss Clough left £20 per annum to be distributed among the aged and sick poor, and £5 for warming the Church. In the following Directory, those marked 1 are in the fen. Post Office at Mr. Hy. Rudland's: letters arrive at 4 a.m., and are despatched at 7.45 p.m

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Feltwell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Feltwell early postmill and Mill Drift postmill, Feltwell tower mill, Mill Drift smockmill, Wilton Road postmill and Wilton Road towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Feltwell watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site [Paul Garland]
Feltwell Museum
Feltwell Historical & Archeological Society
More on Feltwell [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Little Ouse
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page