1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845, Harrod's 1878, Kelly's 1900 and Kelly's 1925 [Bressingham & Fersfield Web-Site]
Bressingham (& Fersfield) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Fersfield postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Bressingham & Fersfield {Local web-site]
Fersfield Church [local web-site]
More on Fersfield [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Fersfield

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 315.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

FERSFIELD is a village and parish 5 miles north-west from Diss railway station, in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred, and county court district, Guiltcross union, Redenhall rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew was rebuilt by Sir Robert and William Du Blois; it is an old flint builing, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, porch and a square tower containing 1 bell, and contains marble monuments of Sir Robert and William Du Blois; also a marble slab to the memory of the Rev. F. Blomfield, rector here for 23 years. The register dates from the year 1565. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at 360, with 60 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of and held since 1878 by the Rev. Arthur Braithwaite, of St. Bees. This place gave birth to Rev. Franis Blomefield, who was the projector and writer of the "History of Norfolk", which was printed and published in the eighteenth century, and afterwards reprinted by Mr. William Miller, of London, in eleven large volumes. Alger House is the seat of Miss Mortimer and is pleasantly situated. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 1,386 acres; rateable value, 1,935; and the population in 1881 was 288.


POST OFFICE.—Herbert Arthur Hall, sub-postmaster. Letters through Diss, arrive at 8,45 a.m. dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Kenninghall

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1872; T. Vertigen, New Buckenham, clerk to the Board

Board School, Mrs. Charlotte Dennis, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845, Harrod's 1878, Kelly's 1900 and Kelly's 1925 [Bressingham & Fersfield Web-Site]
Bressingham (& Fersfield) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Fersfield postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Bressingham & Fersfield {Local web-site]
Fersfield Church [local web-site]
More on Fersfield [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page