FIELD DALLING is a parish and scattered village 5 miles west from Holt station, and 4 from Thursford station, 3½ south from Blakeney and 6 east from Walsingham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Holt amd archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St Andrew is an old building in the Early English style. and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and square embattled tower containing 5 bells; the north side of the nave has small clerestory windows; it is seated with open oak benches, some of which are massive and ancient: the chancel has four stained windows, the east one being to the memory of the Rev. William Upjohn, who was 50 years vicar; it was placed by parishioners and friends; the subjects are The Sower, Cruxifixion, and The Reaper: the Good Samaritan, in three lights, is the subject of one on the south side, and is to the memory of R. K. Cobbold, esq. The register dates from the year 1528. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly value from tithe rent charge £150, and rents from glebe lands £54, total £213 with house and grounds of 3 acres, in the gift of and held since 1859 by the Rev. Henry Spencer, of St. Bees; the rectorial tithes are commuted for £309, and are owned by the trustees of the late W. Reppingall, esq. The United Methodist Free Church and the Primitive Methodists have places of worship here. There are charities of an average yearly value of £40 distributed at Christmas in money to the deserving poor. John Henry Pearson, esq. who is lord of the manor, Henry Nicholas Savory, E. H. Sparke, esq. J.P., D.L. George Dixon esq. and John Hales are the chief landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, chalk and brick earth. The crops are chiefly wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,619 acres, rateable value £2,485; and the population in 1881 was 330.
Letters from Dereham, via Holt, delivered by foot messenger at 10 a.m.; there is a WALL LETTER BOX near the Church cleared at 3.30 p.m. Blakeney is the nearest money order & telegraph office
A School Board was formed here in 1875 for the united district of Field Dalling & Saxlingham; Charles Green, clerk & attendance officer.
Board School, Arthur Harris Smith, master
CARRIERS from Wells & Stiffkey pass through
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, December 1998, amended June 1999; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Field Dalling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Church pictures [Kate Lillington]
Our Daily Bread (Introduction to the churches of Bale, Bayfield, Field Dalling, Glandford, Holt and Saxlingham [Simon Knott]
Holt Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Field Dalling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page