FINCHAM ia a parish and village 5 miles north-east from Downham Market on the road to Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich : it gives its name to the rural deanery of Fincham, co-existing with the hundred of Clackclose, and comprising 34 parishes. The church of St. Martin is a large and handsome building in the Perpendicular style, with traces of an earlier building, having chancel, nave, aisles, a lofty square tower, with quoins of freestone and battlements and a good peal of 6 bells; the ancient Norman font has a basin 2 feet 7 inches square, and is ornamented with figures representing The Fall of Man, The Offerings of the Magi, and the Birth and Baptism of the Saviour, but some of the devices are much defaced: the church has been restored and extensively repaired during the present incumbency, and several beautiful stained glass windows introduced: the churchyard was extended in 1864, by a gift of land from Mr. Hebgin, the impropriator of part of the tithes, and in 1870 the chancel was restored by Miss Hebgin: the old hurch of St. Michael was taken down in 1745. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a rectory; the tithes are commuted at $600 yearly to the rector, and £325 to Miss Hebgin, the impropriator of one moiety of the rectorial tithes: there are 30 acres of glebe land; it is in the altermate gift of the Lord Chancellor and the present rector, the Rev. William Blyth M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, rural dean, and a surrogate of the archdeaconry of Norfolk, author of "Historical Notices of Fincham," who has held the rectory since 1846. The rectory house was built in 1624. and has been often repaired and enlarged, but its original style of architecture has been preserved. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. There are about 54 acres of land, producing an average rental of £40 yearly, allotted to the poor and distributed yearly in money; the poor have also a rent-charge of 9s. 4d. left, it is supposed, by the Rev. Thomas Bodham, and the interest of £23 given by unknown dodnors. Fincham Hall, built about the reign of Edward IV. was formerly the seat of the Finchams, and though frequently repaired and modernised, some portions retain their original character, exhibiting specimens of the Tudor style of architecture: it is at present int he occupation of John B. Aylmer, esq. Thomas Leigh Hare esq. is lord of the manor of Fincham Hall and other manors of this parish, and the trustees of Mr. Calthrop are lords of Fairswell-in-Fincham. The principal landowners are Thomas Leigh Hare esq., John B. Aylmer esq. The Hall, the Misses Aylmer, Miss Hebgin, Mr. John Brigham Barsham and Thomas Cossar M.D. The soil is chalk and rich allluvial; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley &c. The area is 2,968 acres; rateable value, £5,211; the population in 1881 was 787.
There is a National Elementary school, erected in 1848, with an endowment of £4 17s. yearly: the average attendance of scholars is 120: it was enlarged n 1875 to meet the requirements of the Education Act; George Day, master
CARRIER.James Waldon, to Lynn, tuesday & saturday
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fincham village page [David Fincham]
Fincham postmill, Bainard Hall Manor postmill, Burnham's postmill, Curple Manor postmill
and Talbots Hall Manor postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Fincham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorerp
More on Fincham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page