1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fincham village page [David Fincham]
Fincham postmill, Bainard Hall Manor postmill, Burnham's postmill, Curple Manor postmill
    and Talbots Hall Manor postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Fincham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorerp
More on Fincham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Fincham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 631-2

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February, 2001]

FINCHAM, a parish and well built village, 5 miles E.N.E. of Downham, has 191 houses, 837 souls, and 2,890a. 26p. of land, the property of various owners : but about one third belongs to Sir Thos. Hare, Bart. the lord of the manors of Fincham Hall, Curple, Grancourt, Combe, Banyard Hall, and Littlewell. Talbot's manor is held by Mr. John Aylmer ; Fareswell, by the Rev. J. Humphrey, and the manor of Platers by Wm. Hebgin. The Hall, formerly the seat of the Fincham family, was built in the time of Edward IV. Fincham gives name to the deanery which comprises the whole of Clackclose hundred. There were anciently two CHURCHES here, but no traces of that dedicated to St. Michael now remain ; after the Reformation its vicarage was consolidated with the rectory of St. Martin's, a spacious and handsome edifice of flint, with a tower and six bells. The Church has lately been thoroughly restored, and re-fitted with open benches at the cost of £350. A beautiful stained glass window in memory of the late Mr. Geo. Aylmer has just been added, at the cost of £160. The capacious old font is curiously carved. The joint benefices are valued in the King's book at £17 6s. 8d., in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the present rector, the Rev. W. Blyth. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £690, and £325 is paid to Mr. Wm. Hebgin, the impropriator of one moiety. The glebe is worth about £50 a year. The Church Land, 9a. 4p., with a cottage, lets for £22. A National school and residence for the teacher was built in 1848, at a cost of £600, and endowed with £6 per annum by the present rector. The poor have 9s. 4d., yearly left by the Rev. T. Bodham, and the interest of £23 given by an unknown donor. The Wesleyans have a Chapel here. Post Office at Geo. Aylmer's. Letters arrive at 9 a.m. and are despatched at 4 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fincham village page [David Fincham]
Fincham postmill, Bainard Hall Manor postmill, Burnham's postmill, Curple Manor postmill
    and Talbots Hall Manor postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Fincham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorerp
More on Fincham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page