BURGH ST. MARGARET and ST. MARY (commonly called FLEGG BURGH), formerly distinct parishes, form one parish 3 miles west from Ormsby station of the Eastern and Midlands railway, 15 miles north-east from Norwich and 7½ north-west from Yarmouth railway station, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The old church of St. Mary has gone to decay, with the exception of a small portion of the tower, which remains in the centre of a field. St. Margaret's, erected about the middle of the fourteenth century is a structure of flint in the Decorated style, but it contains fragments of Norman work, and has curious quatrefoil ventilating holes under the windows: it has chancel, nave and square tower with 3 bells: it was, in 1876, thoroughly restored and reseated to hold 170; the work was carried out at the sole expense of the rector, the Rev. Charles John Lucas. The parsonage was entirely gutted by fire about the year 1754, and the church register at that time consumed; the present register commences at that period, and is in excellent preservation. The livings are rectories, joint yearly value £160, with 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 18862 by the Rev. Charles John Lucas M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who is also rector of Billockby, and resides at Burgh house, a brick building, situated in well-wooded grounds. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1841, and a Primitive Methodist in 1853. Here are several considerable charities, among which are lands allotted to the poor at the enclosure in 1804, which comprise 146A. 3R. 4P. of which 40A. 1R. 20P. are let for about £100 yearly, and the remainder is used for cutting fuel and reeds, but the cottagers are allowed to turn stock upon it: the rent of this land is distributed in coal. Wymer's charity of 11 acres produces £37 yearly. The Rev. Charles Lucas, of Filby, and the Rev. C. J. Lucas are lords of the manor of Burgh St. Mary, or Burgh Vaux manor, and the Rev, Charles John Lucas of Burgh St. Margaret. The principal landowners are the Rev. Charles John Lucas, and the trustees of the late Mr. Robert Moore. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,655 acres; rateable value, £3,558; and the population in 1881 was 553.
National School, (supported by the rector); W. L. Banks, master
1891 Census Names Index
Fleggburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Burgh St. Margaret postmill,Old Burgh tower mill, Mill Lane towermill and St. Margaret's drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page