1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 for Appleton [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 for Flitcham [GENUKI-NFK] White's 1883 for Flitcham-cum-Appleton [GENUKI-NFK]
Ruined church of St. Mary, Appleton [Simon Knott]
Archeology of Flitcham with Appleton [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Flitcham [GENUKI-NFK]
Flitcham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Flitcham-cum-Appleton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.317.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

FLITCHAM-with-APPLETON is a village and parish, one miles from Hillington station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 9 miles north-east from Lynn and 108 from London, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Virgin Mary was originally built by Bishop Felix, St. Augustine's coadjutor, is in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, and consists of nave, south aisle, south porch and square embattled tower at the east end containing one bell: the south transept is in ruins, and the chancel has been taken down to the foundation: there are sittings for about two hundred persons: the church was restored in 1881 at the cost of the Earl of Leicester, who is the patron and lay rector The register dates from the year 1771. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £200 with residence and one acre of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester and held since 1872, by the Rev. Bryan O'Malley M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin. Miss West built the vicarage house, and she and Sir William ffolkes bart. gave £1,000 towards the endowment fund. The Earl of Leicester is the owner of the impropriate tithes. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. Here are remains of a priory founded by Sir Robert Aiguillon in the reign of Henry III. for canons of the Augustinian order. A barrow is called Flitcham Burgh, and here the hundred court used formerly to be held. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the ,manor and principal landowner. A part of Sir W. H. B. ffolkes' park is in this parish. A school to hold 93 children was built in 1874, to meet the requirements of the Education Act, John Rigby Leyland, master. The soil is light; subsoil, chalky. The land is farmed on the four-course system. The area is 4,130 acres; rateable value £4,210; in 1881 the population (excluding Appleton) was 421.

APPLETON is a decayed parish, 8 miles north-east-by-east from Lynn; it is for civil purposes joined to Flitcham, but ecclesiastically it is annexed to the rectory of Babingley. The church is in ruins, and the vicarage worth only £8 per annum, in the gift of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales and held by the Rev. Frederick Alfred John Hervey M.A. who is also rector of and resides at Sandringham. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales and the Earl of Leicester are the chief landowners. The works for supplying the Sandringham estate with water are in this parish. The area is about 700 acres; the rateable value is included with Flitcham; the population in 1881 was 41.

_____ POST OFFICE.—Henry Creamer, receiver. Letters through Lynn arrive at 6.5a.m.; dispatched at 6.25 p.m. Hillington is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Letters for Appleton through Lynn, viâ Dersingham

CARRIER TO LYNN.—James Dowdy, tuesday & saturday

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2005; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 for Appleton [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 for Flitcham [GENUKI-NFK] White's 1883 for Flitcham-cum-Appleton [GENUKI-NFK]
Ruined church of St. Mary, Appleton [Simon Knott]
Archeology of Flitcham with Appleton [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Flitcham [GENUKI-NFK]
Flitcham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page