FLORDON is a scattered village, parish and station on the Great Eastern railway, 7½ miles south-by-west from Norwich. 106 from London and 6 south-east from Wymondham. in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Henstead union, Norwich county court district, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church of St. Michael is an old flint and brick building, with chancel, nave and south porch. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300, with residence and 26 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Kenneth H. Kemp bart. and held since 1856 by the Rev. Gascoigne Frederick Whitaker M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. Clabburn's charity of £5 4s. yearly is for bread and fuel. Rainthorpe Hall, an ancient mansion in this parish, the residence of Sir Charles Harvey bart J.P. gives name to a manor, which extends into the parishes of Tasburgh and Newton Flotman. Sir Kenneth H. Kemp bart. is lord of the manor of Flordon and chief landowner. The soil is sand and flint; subsoil, various; The crops are of the usual kind. The area is 929 acres, rateable value,£1,803; the population in 1881 was 178.
POST OFFICE.--Mrs. Emma Coleman, postmistress. Letters through Long Stratton received at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Long Stratton is the nearest money order & telegraph office, but messages are received at the railway station.
Collector of Taxes, William Watson
Railway Station, Austin Christopher Sainty, station master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007, with minor corrections October 2008; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Carleton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Flordon watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Flordon smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Flordon [GENUKI-NFK]