FORDHAM ia a parish and station on the Downham and Stoke Ferry branch railway, 3 miles south from Downham Market, in the Western division of the county, in Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the navigable river Wissey. The church of St. Mary is a small building, consisting of chancel and nave: the chancel appears to have been bult inthe 13th century. The register dates from the year 1576. The living is a vicarage, united with Roxham and Ryston by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1878, joint yearly value £326, including the rent of 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and held since 1867 by the Rev. Robert Rogers M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Edward Roger M. Pratt esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is of varied composition, one part being a strong mixed soil, and the other light land. The chief crops are grass, wheat, barley and beans. The area is 2,204 acres, half of which is fen; rateable value, £2,863; the population in 1881 was 180.
Here is the Ryston Estate District School, erected in 1856 for the united parishes of Fordham, Ryston and Roxham, & supported by voluntary contributions; Miss Elizabeth Clarke, mistress
Railway Station, (called Ryston), George Frederick Vipan, station master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009, with minor correction and links updated, May 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fordham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Fordham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]