Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Chapel of St. Edmund, Forncett End [Simon Knott]
Forncett St. Mary postmill and Wymondham Priory postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Forncett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Forncett Village Pages
More on Forncett St.Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Informtion [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see also Forncett St. Peter

Norfolk - Forncett St. Mary

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 352-353

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

FORNCETT ST. MARY, 3 miles W. of Long Stratton, and 11 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 71 houses, 326 souls, and 728a. 3r. 33p. of land, the chief owners of which are H. Birkbeck, Esq., Sir J. P. Boileau, Bart., Mrs. Margittson, the Rev. W. Girling, and the Girls' Hospital, Norwich ; the land is copyhold and the fines arbitrary, and forms the head manor of the liberty of the Duke of Norfolk, which comprises 127 parishes in this county, and formerly held a court every three weeks, when all who held manors of the Norfolk honour were obliged to attend in person, or by their attorneys, to do suit and service, and compound for castle guard service at the earl's castle of Norwich. The Church is a rectory valued in the King's book at £20, and has now a yearly rent in lieu of tithes of £515, of which £206 is received from Forncett St. Peter, with which rectory it was originally consolidated. There are 9a. of glebe. The Earl of Effingham is patron, and the Rev.Jno. Edw. Cooper, incumbent, who resides at the Rectory, a neat Elizabethan house, erected in 1848. The town land, 4a. 0r. 31p., received in exchange at the enclosure in 1809, is let for £6 16s., which is applied to the support of the National school, which was built by the late rector, in 1815.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Chapel of St. Edmund, Forncett End [Simon Knott]
Forncett St. Mary postmill and Wymondham Priory postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Forncett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Forncett St.Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
Forncett Village Pages
More Parish Informtion [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see also Forncett St. Peter