Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Will reference Thomas Theodorick Marcon, farmer, 1827
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Forncett End black postmill, Forncett estate postmills, Forncett Manor postmill,
      Forncett St.Peter smockmill, Tacolneston postmill, Forncett End white postmill,
      and Forncett Wymondham Priory postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Forncett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Chapel of St. Edmund, Forncett End [Simon Knott]
Forncett Village Pages
More on Forncett St.Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see also Forncett St. Mary

Norfolk - Forncett St. Peter

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 318.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

FORNCETT ST. PETER is a village and parish with station, one mile north from the village, on the Great Eastern railway, 102 miles from London amd 8 north from Diss, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, and county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and north porch, with a fine Saxon round embattled tower containing 5 bells, and has been completely restored; it contains a curious alabaster tomb supposed to be that of the founder of the church, and probably dating from the 15th century; also some sepulchral brasses to the Baxter family dated 1484 and 1535; the orginal oak benches are also remarkable, the beautifully carved poppy heads of which are rich specimens of 15th century wood carving; there are to memorial stained windows in the chancel, one to the Rev. Joseph Bell, formerly curate of this parish, the other to Phbe, wife of John Furness esq. solicitor. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge 587, with 47 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the Earl of Ellingham and held since 1847 by the Rev. William Greive Wilson M.A. late fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, J.P. for Norfolk. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Sir R. J. Harvey's charity of 30s. yearly is for poor widows. This is the head manor of the honor, liberty, or jurisdiction of the Duke of Norfolk in this county, which included 4 hundreds and 127 parishes. The Duke has disposed of several of the sub-manors. William Henry Cole esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir F. G. M. Boileau bart. Sir Charles Harvey bart. Rev. Dr. Jex-Blake, John Furness esq. Mr. Thomas Palmer and Miss Bradshaw. The soil is clay and good mixed soil; subsoil, clau and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 1,830 acres; rateable value, 3,302; the population in 1881 was 616.



Letters through Long Stratton, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. There are WALL LETTER BOXES at Lower Forncett & Forncett end

SCHOOLS:
    National (endowed with 11 yearly), Miss Annie Poll, mistress
    Infant, Mrs. M. Caston, mistress

CARRIER TO NORWICH.—James Williams, wednesday & saturday, returning same days

Furness John, Forncett grove
Palmer Mrs
Palmer Thomas
Simmonds Miss
Wilson Rev. William Greive M.A., J.P. [rector], Rectory
          COMMERCIAL.
Alborough George, farmer & assistant overseer
Austin Samuel, blacksmith
Bloom Susan (Mrs.), farmer
Cannell George (Mrs.), farmer
Caston Chas. carpenter & wheelwright
Day Robert, saddler
Dunthorpe Henry, farmer
English Thomas (Mrs.), shopkeeper & beer retailer
Gibson Benjamin, miller (wind)
Hales James, farmer
Keeler Robert, Safety Valve inn, & coal merchant
Kirk Thomas, farmer
Knights Jn. miller (wind), & beer retlr
Marshall Robert, farmer
Moore Ann (Mrs.), baker
Moore William, farmer
Murrills Richard, grocer & draper
Myhill George Thomas, relieving officer, for the Stratton district of
    & registrar of marriages for the Depwade union,
    also registrar of births for the Forncett sub-district
Palmer Thomas, landowner & farmer
Patrick Walter, painter & glazier
Peacock George, blacksmith
Puttock George, farmer
Reynolds Edward, farmer
Self Charles, farmer, Sandpit farm
Smith George, farmer
Smith Matthew, farmer
Smith William, shopkeeper
Spratt James, miller (wind), farmer & landowner
Tann Miles, carpenter & shopkeeper
Thurston William, farmer
Tooley Samuel, farmer
Tyler George, farmer
Walpole James, farmer
Ward John, farmer & huckster
Waters John, farmer
William James, carrier

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Will reference Thomas Theodorick Marcon, farmer, 1827
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Forncett End black postmill, Forncett estate postmills, Forncett Manor postmill,
      Forncett St.Peter smockmill, Tacolneston postmill, Forncett End white postmill,
      and Forncett Wymondham Priory postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Forncett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Chapel of St. Edmund, Forncett End [Simon Knott]
Forncett Village Pages
More on Forncett St.Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see also Forncett St. Mary