Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Will reference Thomas Theodorick Marcon, farmer, 1827
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Forncett End black postmill, Forncett estate postmills, Forncett Manor postmill,
      Forncett St.Peter smockmill, Tacolneston postmill, Forncett End white postmill,
      and Forncett Wymondham Priory postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Forncett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Chapel of St. Edmund, Forncett End [Simon Knott]
Forncett Village Pages
More on Forncett St.Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see also Forncett St. Mary

Norfolk - Forncett St. Peter

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 353-354

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

FORNCETT ST. PETER parish, 2½ miles W. of Long Stratton, and 11½ miles S.S.W. of Norwich, contains the hamlets of Forncett end, 1½ miles W. of the church, and Buster's Green, on the east side of a rivulet, and has 138 houses, 712 souls, and 1,829 acres of land. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and the copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. The Church has a tower and five bells, and is a rectory, formerly consolidated with that of Forncett St. Mary, but was separated in 1845. The Earl of Effingham is patron, and the Rev. W. G. Wilson, M.A., incumbent, who resides at the rectory house, adjoining the church. The incumbent must be a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes are commuted for £587. The National school erected in 1848 is a neat building, with a residence for the teacher. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Town Lands consist of 6a. 3r. 38p., let for £10, which is applied in support of the National school, together with a yearly rent of 32s. left by an unknown donor. A fair for pedlery is held here on the third Tuesday in September. The Eastern Union Railway intersects the parish, and has a neat station about three quarters of a mile from the village.

Post Office at John Oakley's; letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 6 p.m.

Those marked 1 in the Directory, reside at Buster's Green; 2 Forncett-end ; and the others in Forncett St. Peter.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Will reference Thomas Theodorick Marcon, farmer, 1827
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Forncett St. Peter Forncett End black postmill, Forncett estate postmills, Forncett Manor postmill,
      Forncett St.Peter smockmill, Tacolneston postmill, Forncett End white postmill,
      and Forncett Wymondham Priory postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Forncett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Chapel of St. Edmund, Forncett End [Simon Knott]
Forncett Village Pages
More on Forncett St.Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see also Forncett St. Mary