1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1925
White's 1845, 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk- Foulden

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.318.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, February 1999]

FOULDEN is a parish and scattered village, separated from Northwold by the river Wissey, about 7½ miles south-west from Swaffham railway station, and 8 north from Brandon station, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of All Saints, at the western part of the village, which has been a noble building, is in the Early English style and consists of chancel and nave; the tower has long been a ruin, and there now only remains one side of it, with a portion of the old circular stone staircase which led to the belfry: this is in great part overhung with ivy: the nave, which is used for divine service, is in good repair, and seems to be of the same age as the tower, but the chancel is less ancient. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Oxborough, gross joint yearly value £720 with house, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1848 by the Rev. Alexander Thurtell M.A. formerly tutor and fellow of that college, who resides at Oxborough. There is a Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are charities of about £22 10s. a year for clothing, and there are about 300 acres of land, still unenclosed. W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., J.P. is lord of the manor, and E. Oldfield esq. is the chief landowner. The soil is light and clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,395 acres; rateable value, £3,273; and the population in 1881 was 459.

_____

Letters through Brandon, viâ Northwold. LETTER BOX cleared at 5.30 p.m. Northwold is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National School, endowed with £5 yearly; Mrs. Eliza Piper, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1925
White's 1845, 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page