1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Foulden

Kelly's Directory for Norfolk, 1925, p 157.

Complete entry. Transcription © Copyright John Baldry, September 1999

FOULDEN (or Fouldon) is a parish and scattered village, separated from Northwold by the river Wissey, 5½ miles east from Stoke Ferry terminal station on a branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 8 south-west from Swaffham and 8 north from Brandon, in the South Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Swaffham, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, which stands in the western part of the village, is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and one side of the ruined tower, to which a bell is attached; a portion of the stone newel staircase which led to the belfry, now in the great part overhung with ivy, still remains: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Oxborough, joint net yearly value £600, including 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1906 by the Rev. Walter Coombe M.A. of that college, who is also sequestrator of Caldercote and curate in charge of Gooderstone, and resides at Oxborough. There are Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities amount to about £23 5s. a year for clothing, and every fifth year the poor have in addition about £20, derived from land at Old Buckingham, purchased with £60 left by Edmund Atmere in 1579 for distribution in money to the poor of this parish and the parishes of Brandon, Feltwell , Northwold, Weeting. At the enclosure in 1781, 306a. 3r. 29p. were left open to supply pasturage and fuel allotments for the poor. Foulden Hall is the property of the trustees of Lord Amherst of Hackney (who is a minor); part of the house dates from the Elizabethan period. The trustees of Lord Amherst of Hackney are lords of the manor and with Col. Herbert Francis Smith J.P. and H. Trueman Mills esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is light clay; subsoil chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3418 acres; rateable value, £2,140; the population in 1921 was 269.

Post Office.- Mrs Sophia Lambert, sub-postmistress. Letters by mail cart from Brandon, Suffolk. Northwold, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1847, & enlarged in 1871, & again in 1911 at a cost of £200, for 122 children; endowed with £5 yearly, left by Burnham Raymond in 1728 for the free education of 12 poor children; Mrs Annie Pearson, mistress.

Carrier to Swaffham — James Burton, sat

© Complete entry. Transcription Copyright John Baldry, September 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly;s 1883
White's 1845, 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page