1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883 and Kelly's 1925
White's 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Foulden

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845, p. 376.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999]

FOULDEN, or FOULDON parish, has a large straggling village, 8 miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, and contains 500 inhabitants, and upwards of 3354 acres of land, mostly the property of W. G. T. D. Tyssen, Esq., H. B. Caldwell, Esq., and Mrs. Horrex; the first of whom is lord of Latimer's manor, and resides at FOULDEN HALL, a modern mansion; but Lord Berners is lord of Warren's manor. The CHURCH (All Saints) is an ancient building, of which the tower is an ivy-mantled ruin, but the rest of the fabric, after being long in a dilapidated state, has recently been thoroughly repaired. The screen is decorated with paintings, and carved canopy work, with effigies; and under one of the south windows is the mutilated effigy of a man in armour, supposed to represent Roger Weyland, the founder of the church. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10. 2s., and united with Oxburgh rectory, in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Lucas, M.A. The great tithes of Foulden are in appropriation of the said college, and were commuted in 1839 for £267. 16s., and the vicarial tithes for £178. 16s. per annum. The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £516 per annum. The National School was built in 1840, and the mistress has a yearly rent-charge of £5, left by Burnham Raymond, in 1728 for schooling 12 poor children. At the enclosure 300A. were left open for supplying occupiers of the ancient cottages with pasturage and fuel. For distribution among the poor, in kersey, duffel, and flannel, Foulden has every 5th year £22, as the rent of 14A. 3R. 22P. of land, at Old Buckenham, purchased with £60, left by Edmund Atmere, in 1579, for the poor of this parish, and the poor of Feltwell, Northwold, Weeting, and Brandon, in rotation. About Easter, £18. 15s is distributed among the most industrious parishioners of Foulden. It arises as follows:— £11. 7s. from 6A. left by Eliz. Long, in 1662; 1A. derived from the bequest of Robert Fuller and another donor; and £7. 8s. from 7A. at Stoke Ferry, given by an unknown donor.

Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1925
White's 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page