1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883 and Kelly's 1925
White's 1845, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Foulden

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 728-729.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2000]

FOULDEN, formerly called Phuldon, is a parish and village 7½ miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, comprising 491 souls, 106 houses, and 3,395a. 1r. 28p. of land, of which 322a. are commons, and 71a. of woods and plantations. The soil is mostly the property of H. B. Caldwell, Esq., Mrs Horrex, and W. G. T. Amhurst, Esq.; the latter is lord of the manors of Latimer and Warren. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a venerable edifice with an ivy-mantled tower, and contains some beautiful memorials to the Longe and other families. It had formerly a highly decorated screen, only a part of which now remains. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £10 2s., and united with Oxborough rectory, in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Alexander Thurtell. The great tithes were commuted in 1839 for £267 16s. and are in the appropriation of the said College; and the vicarial tithes for £178 16s. The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £516. The National school was built in 1840, and the teacher has £5 yearly, left by B. Raymond in 1728, for schooling 12 children. At the enclosure, 300a. was awarded for supplying cottagers with pasturage and fuel. The poor's land is let for £24, and Foulden has every fifth year £20 5s. 5d., derived from the bequest of Edmund Atmere, an old shepherd, in 1579 for this parish, Fletwell [sic.], Northwold, Weeting, and Brandon in rotation. About Christmas £20 is distributed among the industrious poor, arising from the gifts of Eliz. Long, Robt. Fuller, and an unknown donor. Here is a water mill, the property of Mr. Edm. Oldfield, which he uses for the purpose of grinding, threshing, and cutting hay, &c. Post Office at Jno. Carter's: letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m.


Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883 and Kelly's 1925
White's 1845, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page