1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883 and Kelly's 1925
1845, and 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Foulden

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883, pp. 273-4.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, April 1999]

FOULDEN, or FOULDON parish has a large straggling village, 8 miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, and is in Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Methwold polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 459 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3395 acres, and has a rateable value of £3238. W. A. T. Amherst, Esq., M.P., who is lord of the manors of Latimer and Warren, owns a large portion of the parish; but Miss Horrex, J. Trueman Mills, Esq., and Edmund Oldfield, Esq., have estates here. The latter resides at the Old Hall, which, with a large portion of land, was separated from the Tyssen estate and sold in 1781.

The CHURCH (All Saints) is in the Decorated style, and comprises nave with aisles, north and south porches, chancel, and vestry. The tower has long been an ivy-mantled ruin, but the rest of the building was restored about 40 years ago The lower part of the ancient rood screen still remains, and the chancel contains a piscina and an organ. The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10 2s., is consolidated with the rectory of Oxburgh. The great tithes of Foulden are in the appropriation of Gonville and Caius College, and were commuted in 1839 for £267 19s., and the vicarial tithes for £178 3s. 6d. per annum. Here are 110A. 2R. of glebe, and a vicarage house, occupied by the curate. The National School, now attended by 97 children, was built in 1840, and enlarged in 1872, and has a yearly rent-charge of £5, left by Burnham Raymond, in 1728, for schooling 12 poor children. At the enclosure, 322A. 37P. were left open for supplying occupiers of the ancient cottages with pasturage and fuel. For distribution among the poor, in kersey, duffel, and flannel, Foulden has every fifth year about £20, as the rent of 14A. 3R. 22P. of land at Old Buckenham, purchased with £60, left by Edmund Atmere in 1579, for the poor of this parish, and the poor of Feltwell, Northwold, Weeting, and Brandon, in rotation. About Easter, £18 15s. are distributed among the most industrious parishioners of Foulden. It arises as follows:— £11 7s. from 6A. left by Eliz. Long in 1662, 1A. derived from the bequests of Robert Fuller and another donor, and £7 8s. from 7A. at Stoke Ferry.

Here is a WALL LETTER-BOX, cleared at 5.30 p.m., viâ Brandon, through Northwold, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, April 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Kelly's 1883 and Kelly's 1925
1845, and 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foulden Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulden watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Watermill plans, 1977 [Jonathan Neville]
Foulden postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Register information (Banns. Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foulden [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page