1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Will of John Barber [Linda Steward]
Foulsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulsham Archives (local web-site) [Jenny Lee & Andrew Macnair]
Foulsham tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Foulsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Foulsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 318-9.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

FOULSHAM is a parish and well-built market town with a station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, about 5 miles north from Elmham and 12 west from Aylsham in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural district of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Holy Innocents is a large and handsome flint structure, in the Perpendicular style, having a chancel, nave, and aisles, transept, south porch, and fine Perpendicular square tower with 3 bells at the west end of the nave: it was originally built about the year 1489 by one of the Lords Morley, but partly rebult in the year 1770. after a fire which destroyed a number of houses and reduced the church to a ruin: in the chancel is a monument to Sir Thomas Hunt knt. who died in 1616, represented in armour, with his three wives kneeling behind him; also one to the Rev. Thomas Ashley LL.B., formerly rector of this parish. The register dates from the year 1708. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at 780, with residence and 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Hastings and held since 1876 by the Rev. Charles Henry Frost M.A. of Merton College, Oxford. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The charities are of the yearly value of 87 11s. 6d. There is a fire brigade. The market has been discontinuued for many years, but a cattle and pleasure fair is still held onthe first Tuesday in May. Lord Hastings is lord and the manor and chief landed proprietor; Robert J. W. Purdy esq. of Aylsham, Chales M. Tatham esq. the Rev. H. Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park, William Skinner Phillippo esq of Wood Norton, and Mr. J. V. Chambelain, of Kempston, are landowners. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are whea, roots, barley and hay. The parih sonsist of 3,226 statute acres; rateable value, 5,64; the population in 1881 was 950.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; linls updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Will of John Barber [Linda Steward]
Foulsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foulsham Archives (local web-site) [Jenny Lee & Andrew Macnair]
Foulsham tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Foulsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page