FOXLEY is a village and parish 7 miles north-east from East Dereham and 2 miles west from Foulsham station, East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Thomas has a chancel, nave and fine square tower with 6 bells and porch: the architecture is principally Perpendicular, with Tudor windows and Early English chancel. The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a rectory, yearly value £410, with residence and 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park, and held since 1840 by the Rev. Louis Augustus Norgate B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, hon. canon of Sparham rural deanery, who is also vicar of Bylaugh. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe M.A., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,620 acres; rateable value, £2,169; and the population in 1881 was 220.
Letters through East Dereham. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Foulsham
The children of this parish attend the school at Bawdeswell.
Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2000; links updated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
Will of John DAWSON, 1820
White's 1854 Directory transcript
White's 1845 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Foxley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Foxley tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Foxley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page