1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Framingham Earl Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Framingham Earl [GENUKI-NFK]
And see Framingham Pigot
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Framingham Earl

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.319-320.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

FRAMINGHAM EARL is a village and parish 5 miles south-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient and curious structure of flint, in the Norman and Early English styles, which has been repaired and restored, and consists of chancel, nave and round tower: here are a piscina and holy water stoup. The Register dates from the year 1721. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Bixley, joint yearly gross value £579, with residence, in the gift of Clement Brereton esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. Charles Turner M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The fuel allotment of 13 acres produced £21 yearly. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are G. H. Christie esq. J.P. James Christie esq. and Major Fitzgerald. The Hall which stands in well-wooded grounds is the property of Paynton Pigott esq. chief constable of the county. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 616 acres; rateable value, £1,122; the population in 1881 was 100.

POST OFFICE.—Josiah Chaplin, sub-postmaster. Letters received from Norwich by mail cart at 5 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Trowse & Brooke are the nearest money order offices. Trowse is the nearest telegraph office.

In this parish is the central school (built in 1840) of the Poringland United District School Board for the parishes of Poringland, Stoke Holy Cross, Framingham Earl & Pigot, Arminghall, Caistor & Markshall; the school was enlarged in 1874 at a cost of about £650 & further enlarged in 1882, for 220 children, average attendance 190; Thomas Mayes, master

CARRIERS TO & FROM NORWICH pass through daily

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, October 2006; corrections, January 2010; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Framingham Earl Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Framingham Earl [GENUKI-NFK]
And see Framingham Pigot
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page