[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
FRANSHAM (GREAT,) a parish and village, 6½ miles E.N.E. of Swaffham, contains 74 houses, 319 souls, and 1,874 acres of and, belonging to several proprietors ; and the manors are held by the Rector, C. Metcalfe, and Edward Rudge, Esqrs. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower, surmounted by a short spire, and contains some fine old brasses, one of which represents a man armed cap a-pie, inscribed Gilfridus Fransham. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £2 5s. 10d., is in the gift of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Vincent Raven, M.A., who has 63 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent of £552, in lieu of tithes. The late rector built a school which is chiefly supported by the present incumbent. High House is a spacious brick residence, the property of John Hudson, Esq., of Castle Acre, and occupied by Mr. Noah Claxton. The East Anglian Railway has a neat station here. The Fuel Allotment, 8a. 1r. 36p., was awarded in 1841. The poor have the interest of £20, left by John Bailey and Thomas Case.
Post Office at David Clark's; letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 3.30 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Fransham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Fransham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Fransham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Little Fransham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page