Freckenham, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Freckenham {GENUKI-SFK}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Freckenham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 883.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

FRECKENHAM is a parish and village and 3½ miles south-west from Mildenhall and 4½ north from Kennet station on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 6½ north-east from Newmarket, in the Western division of the county, Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, situated in the vale of a rivulet which is close to the bundary of Cambridge and Suffolk. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building, composed of stone, rubble and clunch: it is principally in the Gothic style, the east window and some of the other parts are Early English: the window of three lights is stained, subject "The Crucifixion;" the church consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and had until recently a square tower with 5 bells: the interior is paved with encaustic tiles and fitted with ancient open seats and a handsome Caen stone pulpit: some of the seats are carved with curious devices and figures—one at the south-west corner representing the Devil casting someone into the jaws of hell: in the nave is a handsome alabaster tablet representing a bishop shoeing a horse, supposed to be the Bishop Hale of Noyau, France: in the chancel is a double piscina: the roof is of richly-carved woodwork of curious workmanship: the church underwent complete restoration in 1869 at a cost of £2,000, defrayed by the late rector, the Rev. George Barker Paley B.D.: the tower fell on the 29th December, 1882, but is to be at once rebuilt. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory and vicarage, tithe rent charge £520, with residence, in the gift of St. Peter's Collge, Cambridge, and held since 1880 by the Rev. William Samuel Parish M.A. formerly fellow of that college. There is one charity of about the yearly value of £20. Nathaniel Clarke Barnardiston esq, who is lord of the manor, and Victor Paley esq, are the chief landowners. The soil is principally light and sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and turnips. The area is 2,500 acres; rateable value £2280; the population in 1881 was 371.


POST OFFICE—James Copsey, receiver. Letters from Soham by mail cart, arrive at 4.30 a.m.; delivered at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 8.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Fordham

National school, mixed, to hold 75; average attendance 64. A Sunday school is held in the school-room; Miss Elizabeth Rumbleton, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2014, links updated September 2014.

More on Freckenham {GENUKI-SFK}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page