Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Frenze and Rushall (& Frenze) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Frenze [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Frenze

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.321.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

FRENZE is a parish 1 miles north-east from Diss station, situated on the river Waveney, in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred and county court distruct, Depwade union, Redenhall rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small ancient rubble building adjoining the hall: it is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel and nave, with a belfry and 1 bell, and contains brasses of the Blennerhassett family, who fomerly resided here. The register dates from the year— burials, 1651; baptisms, 1654; marriages, 1662. The living is a rectory, yearly value 105, with 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of William Betts esq. and held since 1877 by the Rev. John Rule Tucker M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Scole. The parish is united with Scole and Little Thorpe for the support of the poor. Frenze Hall, the property of William Betts esq, now the residence of Mrs. Lines, is an ancient mansion, on the banks of the river Waveney. William Betts esq, is lord of the manor, and Messrs. Betts and Browning are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed, heavy and light; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and some roots, and pasture land. The area is 390 acres; the population in 1881 was 57.


Letters through Diss, the nearest money order & telegrah office