1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
White's 1845. 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Frettenham postmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Frettenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Frettenham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Frettenham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.321.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

FRETTENHAM is a village and parish 6 miles north-by-east from Norwich and 3 west from Coltishall station, on the branch line from Wroxham to Aylsham. in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and arcdeaconry and diocesee of Norwich. The church of St. Swithin is an ancient flint and stone Gothic building, having chancel, rebuilt in 1869, nave, aisles, porch and square tower containing 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, to which that of Stanninghall is annexed, net joint yearly value £390 with house and 26 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Suffield and held since 1870 by the Rev, William Cooper M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for £481 10s. yearly. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built by Mr. J. Fryer. The common land was enclosed in 1846. Edward Birkbeck esq. M.P., J.P. who is lord of the manor, John Wortley, Edmund P. Middleton and Joshua Harper esqrs. are the chief landowners. The soil is a fine mixed land; subsoil, rich loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,581 acres; rateable value, £2,256; and the population in 1881 was 222,



Letters received through Norwich. WALL BOX cleared at 4.30 p.m. The nearest mney order & telegraph office is at Coltishall.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Samuel Utting, Stanninghall. Crostwick, clerk to the Board

Here is a school belonging to the rector & churchwardens , which is now leased to the School Board; it was enlarged in 1875, at a cost of £150 & will hold 36 children, average attendance 26; Miss Sarah Lovett, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
White's 1845. 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Frettenham postmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Frettenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Frettenham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page