FRIDAYBRIDGE is an eccesiastical parish, formed in 1860 from the civil parish of Elm, 3½ miles south from Wisbech, 3¼ north-east from Coldham Railway station; it is a polling place for the county, in Wisbech hundred, Wisbech union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. Mark is a handsome brick building, with stone facings, in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, chantry chapel, south porch, and square tower with spire and 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a vicarage, nett yearly value £360, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1880 by the Rev. Robert Turner King B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Here is a chapel for Wesleyans, and one for Primitive Methodists. The principal landowners are Lord Overstone, Benjamin Stockdale, T. L. Read, The Misses Percival, Joseph Stockdale, James Scott and James Montagu esqrs. The soil is loamy; subsoil clay The chief crops are wheat, and oats. The area is 4,530 acres, rateable value included with Elm; the population in 1881 was 621.
POST OFFICE.John Bardell, postmaster. Letters through Wisbech srrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Elm & the nearest telegraph office at Wisbech
Handsome schools have been erected by subscription; Miss Sarah Jane Smith, mistress
Localities in the Fens [Alan Gresley]
Elm Genealogical information [Forebears]
More on Friday Bridge [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page