1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fring Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Fring [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Fring

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.321.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

FRING (or FRINGE is a parish and village in a pleasant valley, surrounded by woods, 14 miles north-east from Lynn, 8 south-west from Burnham Market and 2½ south-west from Docking railway station, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient structure of flint in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and square western tower containing 1 bell: the tower and north side of the building are covered with ivy: there is a smalll ancient western window, and the church contains some curious mural paintings, much obliterated. The register dates from the year 1671. The living is a vicarage, united with Shernborne, yearly value tithe rent charge $155 with 18 acres of glebe and 65 in Shernborne, and residence at each place, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1872 by the Rev. Thomas Tweeddale M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Shernborne. In a meadow adjoining the churchyard are ruins, supposed to be of a cell belonging to the Norwich monastery. The Peddars' (or Pedlars') Way passes through the parish. The Hall is a modern mansion, pleasantly situated on an eminence, surrounded with pleasure grounds, and is the property of Mrs. Locke, the lady of the manor and sole landowner: it is at present let to Mrs. Bushby. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, chalk, gravel and sand. The land is farmed on the four-course system. The area is 1.710 acres; rateable value, £2,078 16s.; the population in 1881 was 14.


Letters received throgh Lynn, viā Docking. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Docking. PILLAR BOX cleared at 4.30 p.m.; no clearance on sundays.

There is a good school, built in 1875 by Mrs Locke & entirely supported by her; Miss Jarvis, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2009; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fring Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Fring [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page