1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883[both GENUKI-NFK]
Fritton Marsh drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Morningthorpe & Fritton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Fritton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Fritton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.321-2.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

FRITTON is a village and parish 11 miles south from Norwich and 4 from Forncett station. in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, county court district of Harleston, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Catherine, is a structure of flint with stone dressings in the Prpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave and round tower, with octagonal top, which contains 3 bells, and vestry added in 1874: it has been reseated and the fine old screen (which has on its lower panels some curious paintings of The Four Latin Fathers) thoroughly restored: two frescoes, in good preservation, were discovered in the north wall, representing St. Christopher and St. George and the Dragon: the chancel contains a memorial stained window: the entrance is by a Norman door in the north wall. The register dates from 1559. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge 286, with 17 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Mrs. Howes and held since 1874 by the Rev. Herbert Wilson M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There is a small farm in the adjoining parish of Morningthorpe, the proceeds of which are applied to the repair of the church, and there is a benefaction of two acres of land in Hempnall, the rent of which is applied in providing tools for poor labourers in this parish. Mrs. Irby, who is lady of the manor, and Mrs. Howes, are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans The area is 817 acres; reateable value, 1,306; the population in 1881 was 197.



Letters through Long Stratton, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6 p.m. on week days

Here is a National school for the children of this parish and those of Morningthorpe; Miss Sarah Forster, mistress

Wilson Rev. Herbert M.A. Rectory
Betts Thomas, farmer & landowner
Biggs Frederck William, farmer
Nash Thomas, farmer & landowner
Rackham George, farmer
Searle Samuel, shopkeeper & assistant overseer
Ward Francis, Nag's Head
Watling Thomas, carpenter
Westgate Saml. farmer, maltster & mer
Wilson John, fowl dealer
Wright Jonathan, farmer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census
White's 1845, and 1883[both GENUKI-NFK]
Fritton Marsh drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Morningthorpe & Fritton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Fritton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page