[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
FRITTON is a parish and village half a mile east from St. Olave's station on the East Suffolk railway, 1 mile from the Haddiscoe station on the Great Eastern railway, 6 miles south-east from Yarmouth and 8 north-west from Lowestoft, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred and incorporaition of Mutford and Lothingland, county court district of Yarmouth, Lothingland rural deanery, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of Norwich. The Waveney separates this parish from Norfolk. The church of St. Edmund is an old building, with thatched roof: it consists of a chancel and nave, with a vestry on the north side, and a low round tower containing 1 bell: the chancel is an apse, with stone roof, and is Norman: this ancient fabric was thoroughly repaired in 1855. The register dates from the year 1691. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £270,in the gift of Major Frank Astley Cubitt, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Benjamin Adams B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Belton. Fritton House, the property of Major Frank Astley Cubitt, is a handsome building of white brick, situated at the head of a decoy, 3 miles long by half a mile broad, discharging into the Waveney: it is now occupied by Mrs. Cubitt. Fritton Decoy, the residence of Henry E. Buxton esq. is a large handsome red brick mansion, near the lake from which it takes its name. Caldecott Hall, the residence of George James Larkman esq. J.P. is a plain brick structure. Magdalen College, Oxford, and Lambert Blackwell Foster esq. are lords of the manors of Caldecott Hall and Fritton. The principal landowners are Magdalen College, Oxford, Major Frank Astley Cubitt, Henry E. Buxton esq. and Mr. Gower. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots, and hay. The area is 1,562 acres; rateable value £2,185; the population in 1881 was 253.
POST OFFICE. Clement Waters Lawn, receiver. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.n. Somerleyton is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Here is a National school, supported by vluntary subscriptions & children's pence; Miss Sophia Creffield, mistress
Parish Summary for Fritton & St. Olaves [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
Paddy's home page