1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1912 {GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fulmodeston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Croxton postmill and Croxton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Fulmodeston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Fulmodeston and Croxton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 322.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

FULMODESTON and CROXTON are united parishes and scattered villages. Fulmodeston is 2 miles south-wst from Thursford station on the Eastern and Midlands railway and 5 east from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union, and county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The old church of St. Mary is a venerable Gothic pile, with a square tower, and contains some handsome monuments of the Browne family. A new church (Christchurch) was erected in 1882 for the united parishes of Fulmodeston and Croxton, it consists of chancel, nave and south aisle, and was erectedm at a cost of 2,300 raised by privatesubscriptions. The register dates from the year 1556. The living is rectory, yearly value 575, and 46 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and held since 1868 by the Rev. James George Mould B.D. late fellow and tutor of that college. The Primitive Methodists and Baptists have chapels here. There is a fuel allotment of nearly 30 acres, let for 50 yearly, and other charities of 45 ammual value for clothing. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and principal landowner: Lord Hastings also has estates in this parish. The soil is a rich strong loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and, and barley and green crops generally. The united parishes contain 2,333 avres; rateable value, 2,731; and the population in 1881 was 361.

At CROXTON, 1 miles north, there is a thatched church named after St. John the Baptist.


POST OFFICE.—John Emerson, receiver. Letters through Dereham, arrive 7.50 a.m.; dispatched at 5.5 p.m. Foulsham os the nearest money order office

These parishes are included in the Barney United School Board district, formed in 1873

Board School, built in 1877. at a cost of 1,000 for 120 children, average attendance 84; Mark Hurley, master; Mrs. Susan Hurley, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1912 {GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fulmodeston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Croxton postmill and Croxton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Fulmodeston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page