GARBOLDISHAM is a parish and compact village, lying in a vale, 5 miles south from East Harling station and 7 west-by-north from Diss, in the Southern division of the county, union and hundred of Guiltcross, county court district of Diss, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is a moble building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, large square tower at the west end, containing 6 bells: the entrance is by a handsome porch on the north side, bearing several Latin inscriptions: about the year 1862 the church was thoroughly restored and re-seated: the ancient carved ends of the original becnches were retained in the aisles: the floor is laid with Minton's tiles: the aisles contain several marble tablets to the Montgomerie family: an organ was put into the church in 1883: the chancel contains a small stained window of two lights, subject"Our Lord blessing little children," in memory of a child of the rector. The register dates from the year 1609. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of All Saints, tithe rent charge £605, with residence and 50 acres of glebe, in the gift of Cecil Thomas Molineux Montgomerie esq. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Charles Lewis Kennaway M.A. of University College, Oxford. The tower of the old church of All Saints still remains, the body having been pulled down in 1734. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There are charities of about £93 yearly, arising from lands in this and adjoining parishes, devoted to apprenticing or payment of school fees, and the supplying of the poor with bread, and the remainder towards the repair of the church. Cecil Thomas Molineux Montgomerie esq. is lord of the manors of Packhams-in-Garboldisham and Uphall-in-Garboldisham, and the rector is lord of the manor of Garboldisham Rectory. Cecil Thomas Molineux Montgromerie esq. is the principal landowners and resides at Garboldishamm Manor, a pleasant residence with gardens tastefully laid out. The Hall is an ancient mansion, the property of Cecil T. Molyneux Montgomerie eq. and occupied by R. Temple Frere esq. The land is of mixed soils; subssoil, chiefly clay and gravel. The area is 2,705 acres; rateable value, £3,619; and the population in 1881 was 641.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank.Arthur Rolfe, receiver. Letters arrive from Thetford, viā Harling, at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
National schools were erected about 1872 & will hold 100 children, average attendance 80; John Winzer Port, master
INSURANCE AGENTHand-in-Hand, Fredk. Powell
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Garboldisham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Garboldisham towermill, smockmill, postmill and Mill Pond Farm towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Garboldisham [GEUNKI-NFK]
List of village organitstions
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page