1891 Census Names Index
Guiltcross hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Garboldisham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Garboldisham towermill, smockmill, postmill and Mill Pond Farm towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Garboldisham [GENUKI-NFK]
List of village organitstions
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Garboldisham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 758-759

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

GARBOLDISHAM, 3½ miles S. of East Harling, is a large pleasant village and parish, comprising 181 houses, 806 inhabitants, and 1,958 acres of land, exclusive of a sheep walk of 740a. The Uphall estate belongs to Sir Wm. Abdy ; but the lord of the other manors, and chief owner of the soil is Frederick Molineux Montgomery, Esq., the patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has a square tower and five bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £19 16s., and in 1831 at £495, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Geo. L. W. Horton. Here was formerly another Church dedicated to all Saints, a great portion of its tower is still standing richly mantled with ivy. Its rectory is consolidated with the above. The Hall, now the seat of the Montgomery family, was formerly occupied by the Marquis of Blandford, now Duke of Marlborough. The Town Lands, given by various donors, comprise 34a., let for £56 a year, of which about £16 is divided among the poor, and the residue in the service of the Church. In 1696, My. Williamson left £100 to be invested in land, and directed the proceeds to be applied in apprentice fees, or in clothing the poor. The land consists of 6a. 1r. 25p. let for £7 10s. a year ; and there are 3 cottages, let for £3 10s. each. The poor have 20s. yearly, left by Mrs. Gawdy, and 10s. left by one Canbam. Here is a school supported by the Hon. Mrs. M. Montgomery, which is attended by about 50 children.

In the following Directory, those marked 1 are on the Common, and 2. at Ling. Post Office at Wm. Elliott's : letters arive [sic] at 9. 30 a.m., and are despatched at 5.30 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated January 2012.

1891 Census Names Index
Guiltcross hundred
Guiltcross union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Garboldisham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Garboldisham towermill, smockmill, postmill and Mill Pond Farm towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Garboldisham [GEUNKI-NFK]
List of village organitstions
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page