[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
GARVESTON, usually called Garston, is a parish and village on the Hingham road, 5 miles S.S.E. of East Dereham, containing 84 houses, 421 souls, and about 800 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Rev. E. Gurdon, Chas. Lombe, Esq. ; Geo. Press, Esq. ; Miss M. A. Fawcett, and Sir W. R. Clayton ; but Wm. Hoy, Esq., is lord of the manor. "The right of lord of this manor was decided in the time of King Edward by the tenants in single combat." The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a curious old font, and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 16s., in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Fras. E. J. Valpy, M.A., who has a neat rectory house, built in 1845. The tithes were commuted for £243. A school was opened in 1847. The Fuel Allotment, 7a. 2r., is let for £14. The parish has a house occupied by poor people, and land, let for £3 3s. 6d., which is carried to the poor rates. A farm at Yaxham, purchased with £100 left by Barbara Lock in 1685, is let for £21, which is distributed among the poor, together with £6 10s. arising from the following yearly doles, viz., 10s. from Mowting's charity ; 10s. left by John Rix in 1639 ; £4 10s. left by Wm. Blanchflower in 1723 ; and 20s. left by Barnard Church. From the latter charity this parish also receives every fourth year 30s., of which 9s. is for the poor, and the rest for a sermon. The East Anglian Railway intersects the parish. Post Office at Hy. Cowls': letters arrive at 10.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Garveston postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Garvestone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Garvestone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page