1891Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Garveston postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Garvestone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Garvestone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Garvestone

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.323

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

GARVESTONE is a village and parish on the Hingham road, near Thuxton station on the Wymondham and Dereham branch railway, 5 miles south of East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, county court district of East Dereham, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St.Margaret is a stone building in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, porch and tower containing 3 bells; the font is ancient. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £250 with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev.Francis E.J.Valpy M.A. and held since 1873 by the Rev. Thomas Roworth Valpy of St. Bees. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Charities producing £30 yearly are distributed among the poor, and there is a fuel allotment of 7 acres, let at £12 per annum. The principal landowners are the Rev.H.Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh Park, the trustees of the late Grigson Heyhoe, and George Latham Press esq. Major Marcon and H.Collison esq.. The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 802 acres; rateable value £1,763; the population in 1881 was 336.

_____

POST OFFICE.—Jeremiah Filby, receiver. Letters through Attleborough arrive at 8 a.m. Box closes at 5.45 p.m. on weekdays & 11 a.m. on sundays. The nearest money order & telegraph office at Mattishall.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875, for the united district of Garvestone & Thuxton; R.Grigson, Upper King Street, Norwich, clerk to the Board.

Board School for Garvestone & Thuxton, built in 1876, at a cost of £900, for 80 children; average attendance 55, Miss Anna Elizabeth Fryer, mistress.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; links updated February 2010.


1891Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Garveston postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Garvestone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Garvestone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page