1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Riddlesworth (& Gasthorpe) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gasthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Gasthorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.323.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GASTHORPE is a parish and village, pleasantly situated, 5 miles south from Harling Road station, in the South-Eastern division of the county, Guiltcross hundred and union, Thetford county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, on the borders of Suffolk. There was formerly a church, the ruins of which still remain. The living is a rectory, consolidated with those of Riddlesworth and Knettishall (in Suffolk), joint nett yearly value £396, including 64 acres of glebe, in the gift of T. Thornhill esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Robinson Wells. Gawdy's charity, of £1 yearly, is for fuel. Thomas Thornhill esq. M.P., D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are barley, wheat and cinquefoil. The area is 840 acres; rateable value £686; and the population in 1881 was 94. — Letters from Thetford, viâ East Harling. The nearest money order & telegraph office at Garboldisham

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010 & August 2014.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Riddlesworth (& Gasthorpe) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gasthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page