GATELEY is a parish about 2 miles south from Ryburgh station, 5½ south-east from Fakenham and 8 north-by-west from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Helen is a Gothic stone building, consisting of a chancel nave, vestry and north and south porches, with a square embattled tower at the west end, containing 4 bells; the chancel has been rebuilt, and a vestry added, at the expense of the incumbent. The register dates from the year 1682. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Brisley, joint yearly value £480, in the gift of Christ's College, Cambridge, and held since 1851 by the Rev. John Smith B.D., late fellow of that college. who resides at Brisley. King's Charity of £3 10s. yearly, is for clothing. Lord Sondes is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed, consisting of stiff clay and brick earth, with a small portion of light loam and sand: it is cultivated on the usual four-course shift. The area is 1,490 acres; rateable value £2,036; the population in 1881 was 154.
Letters through Dereham. The nearest money order at Great Ryburgh
Children attend the schools at Brisley and Great Ryburgh
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gateley postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Gateley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gateley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page