1891 Census Names Index
Launditch Hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gateley postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Gateley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gateley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Gateley

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 790

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]

GATELEY, a small parish, 7 miles N. by W. of East Dereham, has 26 houses, 138 souls, and 1,504 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Sondes, Mrs. R. Mitford, and Mr. Charles Elgar ; the former is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Helen, is a vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Brisley. The great tithes, commuted for £203, belong to Christ College, Cambridge ; and the vicarial tithes are commuted for £142. The Town Land is 6a. 1r. ; and Robert King left 2a. 2p. of land, now let for £2 10s.

DIRECTORY
Mrs. R. Mitford, The Hall ;
Thomas Howes, blacksmith and parish clerk ;
Edward Rix, farm steward ;
and the farmers are
William Ord Chambers, Hill House ;
Charles Elgar ;
Money Griggs, Manor House ;
William Hawes, (and cooper ;)
William Howell, Church House ; &
William Howell, (& butcher.)

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Launditch Hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gateley postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Gateley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gateley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page