1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Gayton & Gayton Thorpe [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gayton Thorpe {GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - GaytonThorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.324.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GAYTON THORPE is a parish and village 2 miles north-east from East Winch station and 8 east-by-south from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a building of rubble, in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, and hexagonal tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1580. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of East Walton, joint yearly value £499, in the gift of Anthony Hamond esq. and held by the Rev. Molyneuz Sheffield Crampton Fitzharding Hardinge B.A. of New College, Oxford, who resides at East Walton. Anthony Hamond esq. is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of the land. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, sand and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,289 acres; rateable value, £1,675; the population in 1881 was 162.

Letters are received through Lynn, viâ Gayton. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Gayton. WALL BOX cleared at 4 p.m.; sundays at 11 a.m.

The children of this parish attend the school a East Walton

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Gayton & Gayton Thope [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gayton Thorpe {GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page